I am a clinical psychologist with over 30 years of experience helping people find relief from anxiety, worry, insomnia, or stress, and those who want to become happier or more resilient. Clients come to me to overcome panic, fears, or phobias, or increase personal happiness and effectiveness.
My Treatment Approach
My practice emphasizes brief effective therapy using a variety of evidence-based techniques with proven effectiveness such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and Positive Psychology. I offer Virtual Reality Exposure Therapy (VERT) specifically for treating fears or phobias. You may also learn self-hypnosis, relaxation, visualization, stress management, mindfulness, or other skills.
I sometimes use hypnosis for therapy (hypnotherapy) and I teach self-hypnosis. I am certified as an Approved Consultant by the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis (ASCH) based on my advanced training and extensive experience with clinical hypnosis. I belong to the ASCH and the Society of Psychological Hypnosis, national organizations for trained, licensed healthcare professionals supporting the ethical use of clinical hypnosis.
Located in a Victorian building, my office offers a quiet, private, professional environment for our work together at 2925 Webster Street. The office is just north of Union Street in the Cow Hollow area of San Francisco, convenient to Pacific Heights and the Marina district.
To get here by bus (SF Muni): take the 41 or 45 on Union Street, the 22 on Fillmore Street, 28 or 43 on Lombard Street, or the 30 on Chestnut Street.
Street parking in this area is metered (9 AM to 6 PM every day) or limited to two hours without an area K permit (8 AM to 6 PM weekdays). Nearby parking garages include the Lombard Street Garage (enter via Moulton Alley from Webster Street), 2001 Union Garage, and the Union/Laguna Garage.
- B.A. in Psychology, Earlham College
- M.A. in Psychology, Case Western Reserve University
- Pre-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Virginia Medical Center
- Ph.D. in Psychology, Case Western Reserve University
- Post-Doctoral Residency, Sheppard-Pratt Psychiatric Hospital
- California Psychologist License PSY 6737
- American Society of Clinical Hypnosis, Approved Consultant
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- The Society of Psychological Hypnosis
- American Psychological Association
- California Psychological Association
- San Francisco Psychological Association, Chair of Speakers Bureau and Public Education
Experience & Awards:
- Voted Most Valuable Psychologist, Kaiser Fremont Psychiatry
- Outstanding Innovator Award, Kaiser Greater Southern Alameda Area
- Created the Kaiser Health Education class on Managing Anxiety
- Best Practices Champion for Anxiety Disorders for Kaiser Psychiatry
- Helped develop Kaiser Psychiatry Best Practices for panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Helped write and administer California psychology licensing examinations
- Past Training Director, Post-Doctoral Psychology Fellowship program, Kaiser Fremont Psychiatry
- Past President, San Francisco Academy of Hypnosis
My background includes 32 years at Kaiser Permanente providing individual and group psychotherapy to thousands of patients for a variety of different issues. While at Kaiser I:
- Taught self-hypnosis
- Created therapy groups for panic and anxiety, for increasing happiness, and other issues
- Introduced virtual reality therapy for phobias (fear of public speaking, fear of flying, fear of heights)
- Supervised and trained post-doctoral psychology residents
- Lectured extensively on hypnosis, happiness, anxiety, and other topics
- Wrote books and articles
I have been interviewed about:
- Hypnosis (hypnotherapy)
- Virtual Reality Therapy for Fear of Flying, Fear of Heights, and Fear of Public Speaking
- Protecting your Mental Health During Tough Economic Times
- Coping with the Stresses of Lymphedema
For More Information:
Call me at 1-415-625-3565 to discuss how we can work together, visit my website www.elizabeth-mcmahon.com, or email me: email@example.com.